Sunday, February 12, 2006

Chapter Six: ?

I have no idea what "chapter" this is. I hope I was correct. If not I'll have to edit, and that takes too long. Just know that this is in fact a posting straight from the internet cafe. Everything that you are reading has not been edited or carefully thought over. None of it. I am just writing to a) say hello and b) explain that the reason it appears I have been lazy in regard to blogging is because my laptop stopped working again. I have to wait for Global Express to express those discs again.

Anyway, not much has been going on here in Kyrgyzstan. I finally sent the first letter to my World Wide Schools teaching partner. I think the whole idea of educating both students in the US and mine in Jety Oguz of one another is a great idea. I'd be willing to do this with more of you.

The warm weather is around the corner, and just when I thought it was safe to put away the YakTracks, a half foot of snow fell on the great, booming city of Karakol. It made skiing this weekend a blast, even though I really thought I was going to die out there on the mountain's peak during an intense wind storm. It doesn't sound scary at all anymore, so I'm not going to even try. But know that I was on the verge of tears, fearful of getting buried in an avalanche. That would have sucked. I'd like to think of myself tougher than I am, but in the face of helplessness, I'm weak.

I'm going to spend the latter half of this week down in Naryn participating in some sort of Diversity Week. It should be fun seeing old friends. And I'm diverse, right?

I should get on my way and walk the 20 minutes to the bazaar and catch a cab back to my village. I have a big week of valentine's cards to distribute and books to read. I just finished Dave Egger's "You Shall Know Our Velocity," and when it was finished, I couldn't help but wonder why it had taken me almost 3 years to actually sit down and read it. It was great in the I-really-am-starting-to-like-his-use-of-the-exclamation-mark kind of way, and not just because it felt like I had stolen a childhood friend's older brother's journal and was reading it in private.

It's weird that I've been here for 5 months.

6 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger a.rod said...

Have you read anything by Donald Miller?...He's written a few of my favorite books: Blue Like Jazz and Searching for God Knows What. Just curious.

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Cant believe that its been five months already. You'll be home quicker than you think Colleen.
Love,
Timmy

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you will be getting a long letter from me very soon, my little Kyrg friend! It's in the mail :) :D
ps- I am so glad you did not get buried in an avalanch!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger C said...

rod, if you read this, of course i've read donald miller. both those books actually. he's ok and all, but sometimes i think he tries to be cooler than he is. not unlike like myself.

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I sent you a letter yesterday, hopefully at some point you will get one of the things I have sent in the past month... but I just wanted to say hello. So, you know, whenver you read this have a good day.

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey babe - i love reading your blog because i get to hear your voice in my head (not that im a creep) but i hate reading it too because it makes me sad that i dont get to see you any time soon. anyway, i hope you are having a great day.
abby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home