Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Chapter Nine: News From Home

“I feel sometimes as if I were a child who opens its eyes on the world once and sees amazing things it will never know any names for and then has to close its eyes again. I know this is all mere apparition compared to what awaits us, but it is only lovelier for that. There is a human beauty in it.”

Marilynne Robinson, Gilead

That except was chosen by my sister, Brigid, as the first paragraph of an article she wrote for The Daily Iowan. I attended a lecture of Robinson’s during the Spring Literary Festival at Ohio University during 2005. She was one of my favorites. A complete nutcase, but a favorite.

My dad sent me a large packet of Brigid’s articles, and I just spent the last hour or so going through them. In mid-October the stud interviewed Michael Chabon (the author of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay). I guess she’s some hotshot reporter now and knows people who know people who know Chabon’s numbers. I wish I could remain apathetic about it, but I find myself possessing animus towards her. It’s silly because I’m at an antipodal point on the earth from where she is this very moment.

I’m studying for the GRE, which I plan to take sometime in February. If I use esoteric vocabulary, it is merely an attempt to put my ambitious studying to practice. All I ask is that you don’t mock me. I’ll even allow acrimonious comments to be posted if I use a new word erroneously.

Who am I kidding? I’m an altruist, and I couldn’t be more proud of my little sis. Maybe when Kyrgyzstan is all said and done, pending I desire a job in news media, she’ll be amicable and put in a good word.

Next week: The B’s!

5 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're doing well. Just watched Home Alone 2 on the Chinese cable movie channel that shows American movies. I miss snow. Got one letter from you. Thanks. Enjoy your snow. You doing anything cool for MST?

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Brigid said...

Marilynn Robinson is a professor at my school. I've had the opportunity to interview her. She gave a reading at the beginning of the semester.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Brigid said...

I didn't read the rest of the blog before I commented. Woops.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger C said...

Man, Sy... that's pretty harsh.

I'm sensistive.

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kinda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home