Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chapter Twelve: Safety and Security

Before I forget, I just wanted to get it down.

My dad called me the other night, and when I told him that I was already asleep because I had to get up early for my appointment at the U.S. Embassy, he asked me to take a picture to document the experience.

I agreed like any loyal daughter would.

As I was going through security and the embassy's metal detectors, the guard asked if I had a cell phone and/or camera in my bag. I responded that I did, so she asked me to take them out, or hand my bag over, where it would be safe in Embassy storage. Without a qualm, I gave her my big, orange bag and went on my merry way.

I spent about two hours in the embassy's library, gathering research for a potential book grant I will write soon. On my way out, I grabbed my bag and took my phone and camera out. While I knew taking pictures IN the embassy was against protocol, I wasn't 100% certain what the ground rules were once I was standing in the car parking lot. As a compromise to my uncertainty, I took my phone out in one hand and began texting. In the other, I turned my camera on and quickly snapped a shot of the front building, making sure to the US flag and sign was in the photo. When it was done, I turned it off, slipped it into my pocket, and continued walking out of the embassy lot. Within seconds, and I mean, seconds, a big, Russian security guard man was out the door, chasing me down, yelling, "Excuse me, excuse me!"

I knew right then and there that I had broken a rule that, in fairness to me, was not clearly stated. Anywhere. But politely, I responded, "Yes? Is there a problem?"

"Yes, big problem. You cannot take photo of embassy. Please delete photo."

"Ummm, OK. I'm sorry. I was unaware that I wasn't allowed to take a picture."

"Yes. Excuse me. It is safety and security. Let me see camera."

"Sir, I deleted it. It is gone."

"Excuse me, excuse me. OK."

"I'm sorry. "

And then, with my head in utter, embarrassed shame, and a fake smile across my face, I walked out of the gates forever.

So in short, Dad, there is now no photographic evidence of my short, lovely visit to the U.S. Embassy. I'll be back to village life in no time, where no one has any issues with me taking their picture.

4 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I remember that island! Scaramanga had a big gadget that came out the top and powered a death ray.
2. What is this beer tent you speak of and what grant do I need to apply for to get one here?
3. Guess what? I'm paying for an hour of internet at the government building and it's air conditioned!!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Brigid said...

he would want you to break federal law.

sneaky, sneaky

-b unit

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Brigid said...

tell mom to please get off my back. she is hurtful.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger a.rod said...

Haha, I love it! Nothing like a good photographic adventure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home